Friday, December 11, 2009

Why do your lips feel soft and spongy after local anaesthetic on your mouth?

Whenever I've had dental work done involving my gums being anaesthetised and consequently my whole mouth being feeling numbed and puffed up, when I touch my lips with my fingers they feel *to my fingers* all soft and spongy as though they would tear if I pulled at them? Why is this, considering nothing has been done to my fingers?Why do your lips feel soft and spongy after local anaesthetic on your mouth?
Because you are only feeling them with your fingers, and thus feeling the texture, unlike normally, when you are feeling htem both through the nerves endings in your fingers and the nerve endings in your lipsWhy do your lips feel soft and spongy after local anaesthetic on your mouth?
the pain sensitive nerve that innervates the teeth are also connected around the jaw, chin, lips, cheeks, so dependind on where the annesthetic is placed and how much it can spread to these reagions the whole area can be numbed.





It is the mandibular branch of the trigeminal nerve, which is the 5th cranial nerve that also innervates the eye and scalp

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
skin moles